Friday 15 January 2010

'Up North'


Have been reading a book called 'True North' by Martin Wainwright (appropriate surname!). If you hail from 'Up North', I recommend it as a study looking at the mixed perceptions of what the north stands for and the unfortunate stereotypes which have developed over the decades. It also lead me to a group of artists called The Ashington Group, miners from the North East and a chap called Ian Burke whose lino prints I particularly like.
As I am going up to Lancashire for nearly 2 weeks on Sunday, I have resolved to try and get some references which relate to my own childhood and roots although Leyland now has even less going for it than it did in the 50s and 60s. As I'm into wet streets and reflections at the moment, perhaps I will be able to combine the two.

No comments: