Tuesday 26 February 2008

Blasts from the past




Inspired by an old friend to look for sketch books from my school days, I found some early attempts. It was quite sobering looking so far back! I wasn't much good at most things; I was a bit clumsy, had a sister who was musical and could sing beautifully and I was in the 'C' stream at a grammar school, having confounded everyone by passing my 11+. But a new art teacher in my early teens showed me the possibilities and opened a door - a way to escape my 'roots' and head for the dizzyingly sophisticated lights of Manchester and an Art College, 30 miles down the road. My family viewed my new-found ambitions with great trepidation. 'Art students' had a certain reputation in the 60s! These drawings are from sketch books from my days in Leyland, while still at school and being taught by Mr May.
Caroline, Fox Lane Leyland, visit to the Lake District all early 1960s

No comments: